Thursday, May 10, 2007

and the answer is...(a resounding) "NO"

I'm a little disappointed...to say the least.

I went back to Disney today for my follow up interview.

I met with a guy...who seemed nice enough...he didn't really seem interested in what I had to say. He kept checking his phone and looking at his computer as I answered his questions. I apologized for being too long winded...just incase. He said, "No, it's great, you're fine!" So, I continued...answering his questions thoroughly. He still looked disinterested.
So, he asks me tons of questions about myself and my current job. The ONLY photo question he asked me was what is my favorite photo and why. I answered. He never asked me about my experience in photography. He finished his barrage of questions and sent me back out to the lobby to wait on someone else.

I wait...and a woman came to get me. She asked me how the interview went...I said I thought it went well. She then informed me that he "really enjoyed talking with me" but unfortunately, my availability does not fit what they are looking for. I asked her to specify and she asked me when I was available. I told her it was from May 24th through the end of August. She said she needed to go clear up something and left the room for a few minutes.

She came back...she informed me that actually, the issue was that they were looking for someone with more experience in "corralling" people for photographs. (It bears mentioning at this point that I worked, for a little while, for a commercial photographer when I was in college. I don't list my experience there because it was very short term and I have no contact with the guy now. I took pictures for pageants, sports teams, and various other commercial events...what I'm saying is...I have more than sufficient experience in "corralling" groups of people for photographs. However, the guy who interviewed me NEVER asked about my experience...so...he wouldn't have known this!!!) So, at this point, I can't mention all this to her, she's just following orders and basically has the terrible job of telling people they didn't get a job. So, she tells me I can still work at attractions and will probably have a better chance getting this job next year. She goes on to inform me that she had actually even hired some more teachers for the job just today...because they had already done "attractions" for a summer. I wonder if they had degrees in Photography.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that this job pays more than all the other jobs. They treat it as a perk job for people who have "done their time in the trenches." They don't actually care about your photography back ground or experience. They just pick the people they think deserve to be paid a higher wage.

So, I'm a little ticked...and I think I deserve to be...they are supposed to call me soon to talk to me about a position in "attractions." In the meantime, I'm going to look for a job in other avenues.

I'm just not sure how I feel about how they've treated me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life is just Not FAIR!!! heard that before?
love, mom

Unknown said...

Crazy!!!!! So sorry!
Ash